Go to goldenfrog.com

Please tell us your feature request....

Per-URL VPN

give us the ability to define an URL set which will be used for connections over the vyprvpn only.

lets say i define www.netflix.com only the traffic to/from netflix.com goes through the vpn connection, all other traffic will use the standard route without vpn

91 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mauri shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Caleb Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I was signed up with another VPN company their mobile app allowed you to tell it to let certain apps out through the regular connection. So for netflix I'd check it to bypass the VPN so it would work correctly.

• Robert Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I live in the US. As netflix and hulu crack down on users who are using a VPN, perhaps it would also be good to allow traffic to/from netflix/hulu to be excluded from the VPN. Could probably achieve this by configuring iptables properly. It's a moving target though, as netflix server ip addresses change, so you'll want to build a script and user interface that's pretty and easy to use for the customer.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you could implement this by binding [example] IE11 to a certain VPN connection but allow Chorme to go through normal or secondary VPN connection.

• DaaBoss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most often, the reason VPN is even needed is that one or two APPLICATIONS, and NOT necessarily websites have been blocked by policy. So, if I could specify the URL, or even the IP range, I think this would work.

HOWEVER, since the number of situations will greatly vary, there needs to be a SCRIPTABLE way to apply a SET of IP/URLS by name.

Then, presumably, user could push a button from a separate application on their local PC, or run a specially designed phone APP to use a well crafted and named set of criteria. This would, or should drastically improve your bandwidth requirements, and provide more to each user.

PM me to dialog on how best to accomplish this, since IMO, without these predefined scripts, most users will either not be able know enough to use this feature, or can't without a lot of work for every user.

• mauri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i understand where you are comming from BUT this will not be sufficient because it would not change the problem:

if you are connected, all the traffic is routed through the VPN, sometimes its not neccessary that all - lets say 10 browser tabs are rerouted - sometimes because of the encryption etc it will slow down traffic which is not needed to be re-routed. so it should be possible to define an URL set or maybe some predefined sets like:

hulu, netflix, etc i guess those services are very often used in combination with giganews. for me and my friends its very frustration to have a very stable vpn solution BUT we cant use it in the way we need it. we have to add routings to our lancom routers etc etc - which is a) very complicated b) not userfriendly on an iphone/android etc..

Feedback and Knowledge Base