Go to goldenfrog.com

Please tell us your feature request....

Add VyprVPN Router App for Asuswrt-Merlin

The Asuswrt-Merlin firmware developed by for RMerlin for ASUS routers has become incredibly popular and is much easier for the average user to install and configure than Tomato or DD-WRT because from a user standpoint the only difference between it and the stock firmware from ASUS is additional settings.

ASUS has also recently released the RT-AC86U and GT-AC5300 routers which are capable of faster VPN speeds than most any other current consumer router due to the CPU supporting AES-NI, which is an instruction that accelerates VPN encryption speeds. Users are hitting north of 250 Mbps through OpenVPN on the RT-AC86U and i'd say it has potential for more with the proper configuration support and a fast VPN server.

Details of users results here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-performance-of-the-rt-ac86u.41217/

My own experience with the RT-AC86U is I'm able to max out my ISP connection which is only around 40-50Mbps but with 256-bit OpenVPN encryption my CPU load only reaches 30-40% during a speed test whereas on my older RT-AC66U it would reach almost 100% and I'd only get around 10 Mbps.

But configuration does have an affect on speeds and I've noticed improved speeds by trying different custom configurations I've found other users running on other VPN providers so please consider releasing a VyprVPN router app for Asuswrt-Merlin and ASUS routers so that we can get the most out of these beast routers. And I think for the average user it would be much more popular than the Tomato version.

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    twohothardware shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • cdftrim@icloud.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. The fact that they come preloaded with VPN options is much easier for the average user or just someone who doesn't have ask day to spend trying to setup the open source options. Especially if you're not familiar with the process

Feedback and Knowledge Base