Go to goldenfrog.com

Please tell us your feature request....

Manual setup for VyprDNS (e.g. Synology NAS)

At the moment, VyprDNS seems to be only available for users of the VyprVPN apps (confirmed by online support team).

In my case my Synology NAS need to connect as a client to VyprVPN (which works fine using the howto), but DNS queries are not resolved over VyprDNS as there seems to be no way to set the VyprDNS server address in /etc/resolv.conf (at least for me it does not get set automatically).

Would be great if we could get the VyprDNS server IP addresses to use for manual setups.

Now I have to use Google DNS servers as using the router IP address will bypass the VPN connection on DNS lookups (Wireshark confirmed). This only gives partial protection (only a degree of anonymity).

Of course, this might be integrated in a Synology NAS application, but that might still clash with my setup as the NAS is also my DHCP and DNS server (dnsmasq) for resolving internal network addresses (depending on how the app would be written of course).

48 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same comment as for routers. We need to use VyprDNS with non-proprietary clients like openVPN as well.

• Euan Laing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've got the same issue. I'm stuck using Google DNS. My hardware is a GLI mt300n mini router.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same scenario here, I have headless Linux systems and cloud based systems I'd like to point to a good, anonymous upstream server, but sadly this doesnt appear to be supported.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In case there is not manual setting of VyprDNS on roadmap is there a good/secure work around?

Feedback and Knowledge Base